Riad Noir d’Ivoire is a boutique hotel hidden inside the Medina. Beautiful decor, personalized service and a passion for guest satisfaction make it a perfect retreat.
Our Dinner service always offers a fixed-course Moroccan menu and, depending on the evening, a French, Italian or Asian menu. In addition, we are slowly rolling out an a la carte menu which features a mostly Modernist cuisine for both Lunch and Dinner. Lastly, Breakfast is available all day and features a continental breakfast, freshly squeezed orange juice, and farm fresh eggs. All ingredients are sourced locally and almost exclusively from several nearby gardens that we work closely with.
Our therapist, whose actual name is “Coco,” manages our spa where you will find a fabulous place to relax and receive some truly pampering & relaxing treatments which include different types of massages, refreshing facials and well-executed pedicures & manicures. We also offer a delightful hammam and traditional Moroccan care for your body which we would highly recommend.
From the minute the ornate door on the dusty back street of the Marrakech Medina opened we knew this place would be special!
We spent four days and both the management and the staff were faultless; upgrading our room for our anniversary, cutting up a giant watermelon we brought in from Souks and bringing us dinner on our private rooftop, to name a few.
The rooms we stayed in have the most incredible decor, that you actually feel you are playing a part in a Scheherazade’s story.
The breakfast, oh my god the breakfast…….
In summary cannot recommend the place enough, so I will stop trying so you can just go and book it now.
Before reading this review you can look at my other reviews and see that I have stayed in some of the world’s top hotels (e.g., Burj Al Arab, St. Petersburg Four Seasons, Tokyo Mandarin, Amans, etc.). That being said, I still give this an “excellent” rating. We stayed here in December 2014, and I would definitely return. Here are some factual observations:
1. Like most riads in Marrakech, this one is impossible to find if you don’t know where it is (see the attached Google map showing the exact location). That being said, they give you a local cell phone to call if you get lost. Apart from the difficulty finding it, the location could not be more perfect. It is in a more “local” part of the Medina and a 15 minute walk to the main square. While by US standards some may think this area is “sketchy,” we felt perfectly safe and actually liked the area a lot.
2. Once you enter through the unmarked door from the alleyway, a stunning riad awaits. We were greeted by Andrea and Dider, and they could not have been more pleasant and welcoming. They gave us a complete description of the riad and its services and we were off to the Panther Suite. Everything was top quality and beautiful in a traditional Moroccan style.
3. The panther suite itself is great. It has a sitting area, king size bed, en suite bathroom, and the world largest tub/shower. There is also a fireplace which they will light for you on request. The Panther suite also includes a private terrace (upstairs) with a hot tub.
4. If you stay in the Panther Suite, they serve the included breakfast on the private terrace in the morning. The breakfast included a selection of fruit, yogurt, french pastries and breads, tea, one Moroccan specialty that varied day-to-day, and (for a small charge) you can order eggs too. We were stuffed every morning.
5. The internet is free and you can connect as many devices as you wish. The internet speed was ok for being overseas. It could just barely support a Skype phone call. Video streaming was not possible.
6. We arranged a transfer to/from the airport through the riad. The price was reasonable and everything went smoothly with the driver waiting for us outside immigration with a sign.
7. We ordered room service a few nights. One of the benefits of being at a small place like this is that the room service shows up nearly instantly (i.e., no waiting an hour for a beer to show up!). The food was very good and the prices were reasonable.
8. Everyone at the riad was very polite and service oriented, without being overbearing (like you may find at the Tokyo Mandarin). Andrea and Dider were great, took care of everything we asked for, and seemed to be pleasant, genuine people. Once the final bill was presented, everything was correct and as expected.
Booked purely on the Trip Advisor reviews, it lived up to the no 1 rating it has. Not wanting the reiterate what has already been said, id just like to highlight a couple of very small touches which added to the experience;
1. I had pre-booked an afternoon trip some way out of Marrakesh and went to see Hassan (Guest Relations Manager) for some advice on how to get there & back. Not only did Hassan arrange the taxi, but he agreed a discounted fixed price and using the phone they provide you with, when we were ready to leave to come back to the Medina, all we had to do was phone him and he arranged the taxi back. Again, when it arrived I phoned him & he agreed the price with non English speaking driver. 30 mins later we even received a call from his colleague making sure all was ok and we were taken to where we requested.
2. After dinner the first night, we went decided on a drink at the bar, this became more than one drink and we went to bed at 3am. Ally the barman (who i now know is meant to finish at 12), not only stayed on, but maintained an excellent rapport with us & not at any point did we feel pressured to leave.
3. Finally a very small action, but left a positive lasting impression. We arranged for their driver to take us back to the airport. Not only did he drop us back, but he insisted on carrying our bags through the airport to the end of the checking in queue.
All very small things but this is why they are top of the list on trip advisor.
C’est après un véritable périple Médinesque-pittoresque qu’au détour d’une simple ruelle, cachée des souks et du tumulte, nous avons fait la découverte d’une véritable oasis d’abondance, de luxuriance et de calme absolu. Notre accueil exclusif autour d’un petit déjeuner tout de miel imprégné a fini de nous envoûter, lorsque nos bagages déposés dans notre suite Zèbre nous nous sommes écroulés! Quelle splendeur que ce riad miraculé! Tout en lui, sa beauté, son aura, sa simplicité a fini de nous ensorceler! Bravo à Jill et aux siens pour cette découverte exceptionnelle ou le simple bon goût et le professionnalisme nous aurons permis de passer un séjour absolument inoubliable! MERCI
Cet endroit est féerique, j’ai eu l’impression d’être un Prince dans ce Riyad digne d’un palais.
Le lieu est somptueux, calme, apaisant, le personnel est sympathique et souriant
Nous vous recommandons de diner, notamment le repas marocain est divin,
Que dire du hamman suivi d’un massage coco
Et de la terrasse sur le toit avec jacuzzi
Pas de souci avec le telephone confié par la Maison, Hassan veille sur vous
Merci à toute l’équipe très attentionnée, qui m’a laissé de merveilleux souvenirs,
Merci de votre gentillesse.
Wir können das Riad Noir D’Ivoire rundum nur allerwärmstens empfehlen.
Ein Traum aus 1001 Nacht! Wunderschön ist die Architektur und Inneneinrichtung des gesamten Ensembles, angefangen vom Innenhof bis zur sonnigen Dachterasse (auf der auch Frühstück serviert wird!). Das gilt auch für die Zimmer die märchenhaft eingerichtet und dazu blitzsauber sind.
Die Freundlichkeit und Aufmerksamkeit der Riad-Leitung und des gesamten Personals sucht seines Gleichen und geht weit über den sonst gewohnten Hotelservice hinaus. Angefangen mit einer Begleitung, die uns den Weg zu den Souks zeigte über Restaurant- und Sightseeing-Tipps (die alle durchweg von erster Güte waren!) bis hin zu einem Tagesausflug an den Atlantik mit einem Privatfahrer nach Essaouria wurde alles getan um uns einen wundervollen und unvergesslichen Urlaub zu bereiten.
Wir kommen wieder!
My wife and I stayed for 3 nights earlier this month at Riad Noir d’Ivoire at the very end of a 9 day honeymoon through Morocco. We’re glad to chose to end our honeymoon at Riad Noir d’Ivoire because it would have been hard to stay anywhere else after our fantastic, magical experience there. A few highlights:
SERVICE: The Riad staff took great pains to make us feel at home, from ensuring they were present to greet us upon arrival in the nearby city square, to walking us through the windy street at night, to serving us champagne upon arrival, to leaving flowers on our floor to make us feel like honeymooners, to always being available when we had a question or need. In short, I’ve never felt more at home anywhere I’ve stayed and I’ve traveled significantly.
ACCOMMODATIONS: The Riad is stunning and full of beautiful nooks and crannies begging to be explored and enjoyed. Each room is a masterpiece, decorated with loving care and a careful eye. The recent expansion and addition of a clear covering over the Winter Courtyard has taken the Riad to a whole other level. (Other reviewers who called the Riad “corporate” or “tired” or “lacking in charm” clearly have some sort of personal axe to grind — the Riad is sumptious and captivating). The heated outdoor pool flanked by a wall of waterfalls in the Summer Courtyard will make you feel like you’ve been transported to your own personal hideaway.
FOOD: Although there’s several terrific restaurants nearby, my wife and I ended up eating several meals at the Riad because of the quality of the food, the warmth of the staff, and the desire to soak up more of the peace and beauty of our surroundings. Every meal was delicious and reflected the best of Moroccan cuisine.
SPA: My wife and I availed ourselves of the on-site hammon (bath) and massage and were extremely pleased. The facilities were spotless and the staff absolutely terrific.
LOCATION: The Riad is located off a winding side alley, almost like a Moroccan speakeasy. My wife and I felt safe during our entire stay and the staff was always available to guide us to/from the Riad when we felt a little extra company was desired. Everything that one would want to see in Old Marrakech was within walking distance from the Riad.
In short, I give Riad Noir d’Invoire my highest recommendation. My wife and I had considered staying at La Momounia and were glad we didn’t. We’ll be back and look forward to enjoying more of the calm, charm, and considerate service that made our first stay at this retreat magical.
Room Tip: Try the Guerpard Room. It has its own internal staircase that leads to a rooftop oasis.
This is truly a beautiful riad and we would give it 6+ stars if it was possible. We stayed in the Guepard room (2 adults and our 6 year old) for 8 nights. We found this room worked really well for us as there is a separate stair entrance, separate lounge and bedroom. We could relax in the lounge whilst our son slept in the evenings. Additionally we had our own private stairway up to the private terrace. We all loved the rooftop jacuzzi which was extremely welcoming after a dusty day wandering around the medina.
The whole riad is extremely elegantly decorated and furnished. The result is an amazingly soothing atmosphere, especially in the evenings. Facilities are excellent: breakfast whenever and wherever you want. There are plenty of public areas to relax and chill out. The hamman was excellent and I wished we had tried it earlier. We stayed in to eat 2 of the nights along with a snack one night when we had too large a lunch. We especially loved the smoked duck shepherds pie and the chocolate fondant was the best dessert ever, so much so we both ate it 3 times!
The ultimate and most outstanding feature is the level of service. Staff were attentive and friendly. Jill, the owner was totally charming, full of good tips and truly hospitable host. Along with Damien her manager, they make an outstanding team. Damien was extremely helpful; lots of tips, always on hand and a true asset to Jill. The level of personal service from Damien exceeded any expectations and was more than any 5 star hotel in the world. Their greatest achievement is allowing guests to feel totally at home; there is no sense of stuffiness to spoil the charm.
In terms of Marrakech for children, our son loved it so much so he wanted to stay with Jill! There are 2 cats who live there and he was in love with them (he still talks about them!). He felt very much at home in the riad. We went out one night on our own and had Miriam, one of the staff, babysit for us. Other favourites for our son were:
1. The ride up to the riad with Couscous the donkey.
2. We went on a camel trek in the outskirts of the city and would recommend this. The trek on the camel is quite long – 2 hours so it is better suited to children that are at least 5 years old. It was great fun getting dressed up in Berber clothes and head-wear before we set off.
3. The horse carriage ride around the city.
4. Snake charmers in the square and all the evening activities there.
5. Wandering around the souks and seeing all the different activities going on.
6. We went on trip up to the Atlas mountains (arranged by Damien) which we all thoroughly enjoyed. We went to the Ourika valley and trekked up to see 3 waterfalls. The walk is not too demanding but is more suited for the more adventurous children (which our one is), as on some routes there is a need for some brief rock climbing.
Overall, we had an excellent holiday and felt so relaxed that we could have stayed there a lot longer. We totally recommend this and without a doubt I would say this most deserves the 5 stars from amongst all my reviews that I have posted. We will be returning.
Cari amici che state cercando un posto per passare delle giornate indimenticabili, sappiate che qui troverete un ambiente fiabesco , cortesia e professionalità, e la evidente ricerca della perfezione da parte di Andrea e Didier. Quando ho letto le recensioni mi sono quasi insospettito per il loro livello, solo vivendo qualche giorno in questo hotel le comprenderete.
Это сказочное место!!!! все ооочень красиво !!!со вкусом!!! каждый уголок этого отеля сделан с душой!!! один из самых красивых отелей кот я видела,хотя и небольшой….но в этом его плюс лично для меня,т.к. я не очень люблю ,когда в отеле много людей! Качество обслуживания действительно на очень высоком уровне. … Плюс доброжелательное отношение персонала. Отдыхали с подругой и через год хотим опять поехать в это замечательное место,где можно отдохнуть с душой … Всем рекомендую!!! не пожалеете!